The Beijing Airport Terminal 3 is a big investment for China’s fast growing economy in this world and the influx of visitors to the 2008 Olympics. The work was started in March 2004 and was completed in February 2008.The contract to build the Terminal 3 was handed to Foster and Partners in November 2004.
The building had two objectives to double the passenger capacity efficiently and safely, and to establish the airport as a symbol both of New China and of traditional Chinese national culture.The luggage transfer system is equipped with yellow carts, each of which has a code that matches the bar code on every piece of luggage loaded and allows easy and accurate tracking.
At night, the glow from the airports orange, yellow and red lights are visible through the massive roof, outlining the terminal’s distinctive silhouette and suggesting the colors of the Chinese national flag. An indoor garden is constructed in the waiting area, in the style of imperial gardens such as the Summer Palace.
- Terminal 3 is the most technologically advanced airport terminal in the world.
- It the second largest airport in the world after Dubai international airport’s terminal 3.
- It is the 6th largest building in the world by the area.
- It is the world’s second busiest airport with an annual passenger traffic of 90,000,000.
- Aircraft movements 581,773.